Sunday, February 21, 2010

Valentine Treats




Although this is coming at you a week late, I wanted to share the treats I made for Valentine's Day. The first photo is the almond toffee crunch topped with chocolate. The second photo shows some simple chocolate dipped pretzels adorned with sprinkles, and the final photo is my new favorite sugar cookie recipe topped with modified royal icing. These cookies were delicious! I do want to note that I did not add the full 1 1/2 tsp. of almond extract to the dough. I thought that sounded a little heavy handed, so I compensated be adding a touch more vanilla as a replacement.

Almond Toffee Crunch
shared by The Quail's Nest

1/2 cup chopped almonds or pecans (toasted)
1 cup butter
1cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon corn syrup
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds or pecans (toasted)

Line a 13" x 9" pan with foil, extending over edge. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup nuts and set aside.

Butter sides of heavy 2 quart saucepan. Melt butter and add sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Clip a candy thermometer on pan and reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling at moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently until thermometer registers 290 degrees (soft-about 15 mins.). Watch carefully after it reaches 280 to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and quickly pour into prepared pan. Let candy stand for about 5 mins. and then sprinkle with the chocolate chips. When the chocolate has melted, smooth with knife/spatula and finally sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup nuts.

3 comments:

  1. It is great to once again enjoy your posts!!! The Valentine Treats look beautiful and I'm certain they were tasty and enjoyed by all! The toffee crunch is near & dear to me...the crunch, nuts, and chocolate are the perfect combination! The sugar cookies just amaze me, one day I will attempt making them, but may need a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos of the food...so artsy, Courtney!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping, Becky!! It has been lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete