Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chocolate Ice Cream


Remember a few posts back I was semi-complaining about how it was cool enough to have chili for dinner? Well, someone must have been listening because it has been beastly around here the past few days. Humid, hot, ughhh...time for ice cream!
Several years ago my sister and her husband gifted my dad with a Cuisinart ice cream maker. Just when you think you have him figured out and are sure of the perfect present, he rains on your parade and promptly puts the box in the closet never to be seen again.
Well, I for one was not going to let that ice cream maker go to waste. So far I have tested the waters with Cake Batter, Vanilla Bean, and now this lovely Chocolate. It is an easy, no-egg option that has a very smooth consistency and a wonderfully deep chocolate flavor. I am sure there are ice cream purists who will scoff at the idea of using sweetened, condensed milk in the base, but frankly they can suck it. I will stand by that little can of gooey milk and proudly serve it to my guests. In fact, this ice cream forced my dad to admit that he was sure he just loaned me the ice cream maker-ha!

Ingredients
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup best cocoa powder you have (preferably dutch process)
1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 T. vanilla extract

In medium saucepan, stir together sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, and chocolate shavings. Cook over LOW heat until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
Gradually add cream, milk, and vanilla, beating with a whisk until well combined. Refrigerate until cold--overnight if possible.
Place in ice cream freezer container and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.


4 comments:

  1. Absolutely delicious chocolate ice cream!!! Your photo makes the post so inviting! The commentary is perfect for Wren and he will probably remind you again & again that the machine is just on loan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, your food photos are stunning...seriously, you need to consider doing this for a living. I'm loving this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're fotos are exceptionally good. And you are right about one thing... Condensed milk? Come on girl, come back to earth. Doesn't that seem a little Sandra Lee? You are better than that. I'll try it, God knows my ice cream maker is up for freezing anything (I've had some serious flops!). But I'll tell you this, if the flavor and texture is anything like that of a true custard based ice cream, I'm gonna be pissed, and, I guess, somewhat pleased all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky: Thank you so much for the thoughtful comment. I really do enjoy keeping it running:)
    I hope you will come back.

    Clay: Remember how I said those purists could bite me? But seriously, I think you should give it a whirl. I am quite certain you will have mixed emotions but in the end be happy:)

    ReplyDelete