Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother Week Continued--The Corner Cafe



The fourth installment of Mother Week features a favorite recipe from my Grandma Sis, a.k.a. Sissy. I debated for some time over what recipe to use, but ultimately decided that her decadent Heath Bars would fit the bill. Sissy has been making them for years and they are a no fail treat that I always request when she has us for a meal--that and boiled dinner, but somehow that didn't seem like a good thing to make post St. Patrick's Day. As a child I spent a great deal of time with all of my grandparents since we all lived within a 3 mile radius. I am forever grateful for that time and can't imagine how different my life would be without having the impact of their love and kindness within such a short distance. When I think of the memories I made and continue to make with my Sissy, I immediately am reminded of what an amazing woman she is. Growing up with three brothers, Sissy grew a thick skin and is one of the strongest ladies I know. I watched her, with grace, care for my grandfather throughout his battle with Alzheimer's and was touched by her selfless example of love. And now, in her 89th year, I still watch in amazement at how active she is. We are so lucky to have you!! So Sissy, thank you for everything from taking me to the "city", to having sleepovers, to letting me play with your arms in church. The memories you have given me make me smile every day!

**I will post a picture once the bars have set up**

Heath Bars

1 c. Imperial margarine
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. chopped pecans
1 package graham crackers
1 bag milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil. Meanwhile, line a 9 x 13 glass pan with graham crackers. Once mixture comes to a boil, pour over graham crackers and bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Allow to melt and then spread gently.


1 comment:

  1. Heath Bars are definitely a reminder of Sissy! She has perfected the yummy treat over the years.

    You are so right that she was selfless when dealing with the trauma of Alzheimer's that struck Dad. It wasn't easy but she perservered and did a wonderful job caring for him.

    Sissy continues to bring happiness to her family and we love her beyond compare! We are blessed to have her with us to enjoy and love!

    Another touching Mother Tribute Coco!!!

    ReplyDelete