Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lemon Scones


Although we are having leftovers for dinner tonight, I thought lemon scones would be a nice compliment to the meal. I had all the ingredients on hand, so that was a bonus. The result was a light, tart scone that was moist...even for a scone. I have tried my hand at scones in the past, and I think I have finally, through lots of trial and error, figured out that the less you handle the dough, the better.
Lemon Cream Scones
adapted from Morning Menus Inn Style
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. baking powder
2 c. flour
3 T. fresh grated lemon zest
1 1/4 c. whipping cream
1 egg white mixed with 1 T. water

Mix together all dry ingredients, including lemon zest. Add cream, stirring quickly to moisten dry ingredients. Dough should be soft. Sometimes and extra tablespoon or two of cream needs to be added. Knead on a lightly floured surface 6-8 times, until dough is smooth. Divide dough and pat into three circles about an inch thick and then cut into quarters. Brush with egg white mixture and bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.

**Note: I made a powdered sugar glaze to drizzle over the top of the warm scones.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with the staging, perhaps you could give me some pointers. The scones look and sound very spring-like! It sure doesn't feel like spring up north!

    ReplyDelete